Sculpture in the Hills Show & Sale
2019 Artist Application
Call to Artists:
Join us as we celebrate the 12th Anniversary of the “Sculpture in the Hills Show and Sale”, June 21 – 23, 2019! Last year we entertained visitors from 20 states (and a few foreign countries) who loved the intimate size of the Show and the chance to meet and talk with the 23 participating artists about their work. We hope you will come and experience summer in the Black Hills, and take this opportunity to showcase and sell your art. Please review our commission structure under line 6 of the Event Information section of the application.
LOCATED IN THE CENTER OF THE BLACK HILLS
We are only minutes from the Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse Memorials.
We offer an intimate atmosphere, with no more than 24 sculptors.
Over 2500 potential buyers will be in attendance, many of whom return each year.
PATRONS’ PREVIEW PARTY Friday Night
- $1000 BEST IN SHOW
- $750 PEOPLE’S CHOICE
Plus second & third place cash awards
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING DEADLINES:
March 8, 2019 All Applications Due
March 8, 2019 Jury Fee due for new artists only (see application checklist). No jury fee for returning artists
March 15 – March 29 Notification of acceptance
April 10, 2019 Booth Fees due, no refund after this date
After March 8th, any unsold booths will be available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Thank you for applying to Sculpture in the Hills. If you have any questions, please contact the Hill City Arts Council at firstname.lastname@example.org or 605-574-2810.
2019 EVENT INFORMATION
1. Each $300 exhibit booth space is 10’x10’. Only one artist’s work may be displayed in each space, but artists may purchase multiple spaces.
2. Artists may exhibit as many pieces as will fit into the booth area. Artists with extremely large pieces may get prior permission to exhibit in limited larger spaces outside the tent.
3. It is recommended that artists show their own work. However, individual dealers or agents may stand proxy for artists.
4. The Show’s selection of a sculptor confirms his or her commitment to exhibit. NO REFUNDS will be made after April 10, 2019.
5. The Arts Council (HCAC) will collect all payments for purchases. A 3% processing fee will be collected on all credit card sales. The HCAC is responsible for collecting and reporting SD sales tax.
6. The HCAC will retain 25% commission on each artist’s total sales. For example, if your total sales (cumulatively, for all pieces sold) equal $6,000, the HCAC commission is $1,500.
7. Artists agree that the work they exhibit will be of the same type as the images submitted for jury or review by the HCAC. For example, an artist admitted for sculpture is not at liberty to add jewelry sales to the show.
8. The Show tent is provided by the Show. Exhibitors must provide all furniture, chairs, pedestals, and other equipment for booths. A limited number of tables are available to rent in advance for $20 each. Electricity is available for an additional $25 charge.
9. Show hours: Booths must be open during the Sponsors’ & Patrons’ Reception, 6 – 8PM Fri. evening; and during show hours of 10AM – 6PM Sat. and 10AM – 4PM Sun. Artists may not close their sales booths before 4:00 PM on Sunday.
10. The HCAC is unable to accept responsibility for lost, stolen, or damaged items. Security will be provided overnight.